Shoes are an important part of of our lives. We sometimes take for granted just how far we have come with them. How they have evolved from the bare minimum to the ultimate style pieces. If you are as crazy about shoes as us, you will love these fun facts about shoes.
1. Sneakers Were Invented To, Well… Sneak
The rubber soles made them more stealthy for sneaking.
2. The First Heels Were Worn By Men
It was a sign of a high social standing, and it was also important for men riding horses so that they would stay in their stirrups.
3. On Average U.S. Woman Have 19 Pair Of Shoes
Well, that is what this study says. How many are in your closet?
4. The Most Someone Has Paid For Shoes Is $660,000
They were Dorothy’s iconic ruby slippers from the Wizard of OZ. They sold at auction in 2000.
5. The First Woman’s Boot Was Created In 1840 For Queen Victoria
And over 100 years later they are still a beloved staple of every woman’s wardrobe.
6. The First Pair Of Left And Right Shoes Were Invented In Philadelphia.
Must have been painful before this slight modification.
7. The Wedge Was Born Out Of An Experiment
Steal was no longer available in 1940 so designer Salvatore Ferragamo had to get creative – thus the wedge was born.
8. Carrie Bradshaw’s Famous Shoe Collection Is Worth About $40,000
We were surprised, we thought it would be a lot more. But this article sums it all up.
9. When Jimmy Choo Was 11 He Created His First Pair Of Shoes
Some people find their calling young!
10. Shoe Addiction Can Be Explained By Science
So you don’t have to feel bad anymore according to Suzanne Ferriss, PhD, editor of the book Footnotes: On Shoes.
To check out more shoes go to HUMANIC.net
photos via whowhatwear.com